pinterest-dd591.htm Oak Creek Academy: Chapter Books, Reading List, and An end

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chapter Books, Reading List, and An end

Back in June or so, I complied a list of classical books that we just had not gotten to with the boys. Some were geared toward our youngest age bracket, some our oldest, some were to just finish a series we'd started years ago.

I've never been an avid reader! I probably had vision issues and some of my dyslexic problems played into not picking up books, for fun, often.  As a result, reading with our two was difficult. As our oldest struggles with reading, I'd decided that I needed to make a better effort to show him how to love reading, by reading.

What has transpired was the compilation of my reading list and theirs.  Since then, we have listened to or read 16 books off their list since the first part of July.  For myself, I read about 4 books over the summer.  That is huge for me.  Lately, I've been picking up books I started awhile ago and never finished.  FWIW ~ I've picked up Ann Voskamp's "1,000 Gifts" again, so I am making a conscience effort to work on my 1,000 gift's list (check out my tab and come back often, hope to add 2 or 3 a day).

Anyhoot,  few days ago, I download a free copy of "Island of the Blue Dolphins" (a book I'd wanted to read in elementary school but never did; not sure why) and yesterday I picked up book 58 in the Hardy Boy Series. Feeling almost giddy about both. One because I've wanted to read it, but never had. The other because the series is almost finished. Never would have thought we'd finish this series and we might just be finished by beginning of November!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment