pinterest-dd591.htm Oak Creek Academy: Here's a concept

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Here's a concept

A homeschooling blog (diary of our homeschooling experience sort of) and I'm actually going to post about school stuff. It's been awhile since I've done something so CRAZY!!

We've been reading "Cowboy Charlie", by Jeanette Winter, last week and this week. It's a great book for our boys. Cowboys, drawings, stars, stories, Indians. Under Language Arts, Jane Lambert (author of Five in a Row) goes over Poetry and Song to "go along with parts of Cowboy Charlie". I thought my boys would enjoy this and was able to find a book called "I Hear America Singing, Folk Songs for American Families", Collected and Arranged by Kathleen Krull, at our local library. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the book (and accompanying CD with just a portion of the songs) also had "Follow the Drinking Gourd". If you are using FIAR as your curriculum, you know there is also a book entitled this that follows slaves to their freedom. This is another great book to be read. Anyway, after listening to a few of the more cowboy type songs, I just played Follow the Drinking Gourd. The boys made the connection right away.

Yipee!!! They are remembering stuff from their lessons.

P.S. How fitting that my 100th post on "Our Homeschooling Experience" is actually about homeschooling. Didn't even realize that when I first wrote this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment