pinterest-dd591.htm Oak Creek Academy: Rug deodorizer

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Rug deodorizer

I have been playing around with the proportions for making my own rug deodorizer because I don't care for the ones off shelf.  These seem to give me a head ache because of their smell.

So today, I made some more and thought I'd measure out what I use, in case anyone else cares to use it.  If you do try it, let me know what you think. 

Here it is:
  • 1 cup each:  baking soda, Borax, and corn starch
  • 1/2 T whole cloves
  • 1/4 t ground clove
  • 1 T ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 t nutmeg
Directions: 
  • sift all together to blend and get lumps out
  • shake to blend smells
  • if you can wait to use, the spices distribute better
  • shake before using
This quantity fit well in a cleaned out, standard sized, Pringle's can.  I used a canning funnel, which also fit nicely on top of can.  I plan to later punch holes in top of can.

If you are wondering why I added Borax, it's because it is a natural flea repellent when sprinkled on rugs or cloth furniture and vacuumed about an hour later.  As we have a cat and dog AND it is flea season, it seems like a wise idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment