pinterest-dd591.htm Oak Creek Academy: Undecided

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Undecided

Probably one of the hardest things for me, with regards to this blog, is finding colors or themes that I like. I've looked at a number of free and pay for type blogs I could down load. These have been quite cute and look like a very nice scrapbook.

The problem I run into, is that I really want simple. It would be nice to have some artwork (of sorts) running down the sides, but I just haven't had the time to figure out the html codes like I'd need to. My husband, the more experienced html person in the house, is just as busy. Another problem that I've found with blogger, is their limited color choices. The selection just doesn't work for me (and yes, hubby even found a link for me to try more colors, but I couldn't find one I liked). Just to picky I guess.

So, to explain the every changing color changes here, I'm just not settled on the formate and color yet.

And if you are wondering what the second hardest thing is, probably the title of our blog. Although, the more I think about it, maybe my blog title isn't to far off. On a homeschooling board I frequent, someone had a question about the amount of "hours" you school. My thought and reply was something to the effect of "homeschooling has become a way of life for us. Yes, we have some hours that are traditional school time, but we aren't training our boys just to be book smart. We're schooling them at home to be able to: read, write, use math in everyday life, relate to other people - of ALL ages, be able to clean up after themselves, know how to wash their clothes and put them away properly, reach out and care for other people, and most importantly have a relationship with God. Because we homeschool, we're able to have a more active role in every part of this and seek out help, as needed. We're able to take advantage of secondary learning - the learning that happens when taking a walk through the woods, for example. And we get front row seats for when the light bulb goes on.

Now, some may say something along the lines of "I couldn't homeschool MY child". I've been there and said that. For some, having their child (ren) in a school building is necessary to be able to earn enough to live. Or, there's the thought that to get into a prestigious school, you need to have x amount of AP classes offered from Public School (did you know there are high school age, homeschooling kids taking college courses at local colleges?). If you thought any of this or in a "have to work" situation, you won't get any criticism from me. Just know, there are people who have felt the same or had to work and still made homeschooling work.

My ramblings need to come to a close for now. Time to ring the school bell (yes, I have one, got it for Christmas, at the kids request).

No comments:

Post a Comment